In May we’re blessed with two bank holidays and therefor two long lovely weekends. Forget about work for a few days and just enjoy your freedom! If you planned on spending the bank holiday in bed with a box set of Game of Thrones- forget that idea! There are plenty of fun and different things going on in London that you shouldn’t miss out on. Grab your flatmate and see how many of these tips you’ll cover over the weekend.
- Head over to National Portrait Gallery in Leicester Square and check out art exhibition “VOUGE 100: A Century of Style” the exhibition is a reflection of a hundred years of our history as it is a celebration of the original glossy. Born in 1916 during WWI, when shipping the US magazine became impossible, British Vogue has always been more than a fashion mag. And this exhibition is so much more than a collection of pretty models in pretty clothes….
- Experience the pretty waterways of Little Venice during this bank holiday and see the Canalway Cavalcade organized by Inland Waterways Accosiation. This includes about 130 colorfully dressed boats moored along the stretch of the Grand Union Canal between Blomfield Road, Warwick Avenue and Warwick Crescent for the Canalway Cavalcade, an event that has taken place every year since 1983.
- Maybe a Farm day is more your thing? If so make your way to Kentish Town where Kentish Town City Farm is throwing their annual May Day Festival. Expect maypole dancing, tombola, pony rides, a tug of war, live music, art activities and, of course, their whole family of different animals including Zorro the billy goat and Shirley the cow.
- At Bourough Market in South Bank on Sunday the 1st of May the t London Falafel Festival kicks off. This festival will see chefs flying in from Cairo, Beirut (and on the underground from North London) to Borough Market with four very different falafel recipes. The ticket price includes all four falafels, made from fava beans, black eye beans, chick peas and a unique blend pf pea-bean goodness. A must if you’re a falafel lover.
- Fancy drinking beer all bank holiday? Course you do. Get your pint-based pleasure at The Priory Arm‘s Beer Festival this weekend, in South Lambeth. Expect 11 keg bitters, British cask ales — even cider’s getting involved.
- Are you into interior design and architecture? Then you should spend some of your Bank Holiday at ExCel where Grand Designs Live is taking place. The UK’s top contemporary home show, boasts over 500 exhibitors, hundreds of limited-edition items and seven sections dedicated to everything from bathrooms and kitchens to lounges and gardens.
- Totally into sports cars? Its your lucky weekend! On Monday the 2nd of May between 12pm and 10 pm Regent Street will be alive with the sound of revving engines as Gumball 300 rolls into London. Watch the cars parade through central London on this leg of the Dublin to Bucharest Rally. It’s free, just turn up!
- If you’re like us and missed out on the Alps this year make sure you get tickets for Brose’s Brunch party at the 12th floor rooftop at the Mondrian Hotel. This party will have all kinds of alpine-themed quirks as they transform the entire place into a ski chalet complete with snow cannons and ski lifts to bring you that special after ski feeling. Get your tickets here.
Totally forgot about your box set with Game of Thrones? That’s what I thought! Take advantage of the long weekend and gain some new experiences!